You followed us as we shared the love of Christ with a Latvian orphan named Gvido. Now, follow us on our journey to adopt him... Ryan Blake Vernon.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Up, up and (sadly) away

Well, the kids are in the air as we speak. Delta flight #58 is their first flight, which has a layover in London. They will arrive in London about 3:30am ATL time and have a pretty long layover. Lucky for them, it's 8:30am London time and they are actually going to take the kids outside the airport to do a mini-tour of London. Then, about 1:30pm Saturday ATL time, 6:30pm London time, they will leave London on Air Baltic #652 for Riga. They arrive in Riga at 4:20pm Saturday ATL time, 11:20pm Latvia time. All total, they are traveling about 21 hours, but it will be broken up at least.


Please pray for Jon and I. Coming home to a quiet, still house is an incredibly lonely feeling. You know it's coming, but there's no way to prepare for that first night apart. Also, please pray for God's guidance as we get on our knees and seek His face to know our role in Gvido's future. Jon and I both feel alot of peace about this time with Gvido, he honestly never had a bad day. For a child that has endured so much in his short life, he has the most amazing spirit. I was able to share with Gvido God's specific word about hosting him this winter. For a child who sometimes feels forgotten by God, I could tell it meant alot to him. He has great difficulty believing God has a plan for his life. If I was him, I'd likely have a hard time seeing it too. If God would have us move forward, I want to share with Gvido this new word from God, as a testimony that God hears us when we cry out and ask His will. I'm learning... as a parent, I can offer my child no guarantees. I'll have good days and bad days. Some days I'll be the superhero, other days I'll be the villain. There is nothing in life that is concrete, aside from the very presence and sovereignty of God. So, we would offer him nothing less than the assurance that we sought God and it's not on our own confidence that we move forward, but because the spirit of God has willed it within us and shown us that He is the light to our new path, one that possibly bears three sets of footprints instead of two.

Thank you for continued prayers over this amazing young man. As God directs us in the coming days and weeks, we promise to update you as we can. Blessings for your new year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No doubt will I be praying for you all each and every day. I hope all works out for you guys.